When the cold weather hits, it’s important to ensure your home is ready. You should also focus on protecting your home’s pipes in addition to regular Winter home maintenance. Here are a few tips to keep your pipes working smoothly from the experts at Affordable Service in Rio Rancho.
- Insulate- Insulating your pipes helps prevent them from freezing. Exposed pipes can easily burst in freezing temperatures. The more insulation you use, the better protected your pipes will be.
- Fix Leaks- Locate and seal any cracks that allow a leak or cold air inside the pipe. Cracks or damage can lead to leaks and flooding.
- Check Outside- It’s always important to disconnect any outdoor hoses and shut off the water line that supplies outdoor faucets and sprinkler systems before Winter hits.
- Let Water Drip- Allowing outdoor faucets and spigots on outdoor walls to trickle when it’s freezing outside will help prevent water from building up inside the pipes and freezing. If excess water freezes inside the pipes, it can burst and cause flooding even inside your home.
- Adjust the Thermostat- Keeping your thermostat at a consistent temperature can help reduce the risk of frozen pipes. Doing so will even alleviate strain on your furnace.
Preparing your home and your pipes for Winter is simple and can help you avoid serious plumbing problems. When things go wrong with your pipes or plumbing, contact Affordable Service! Our team is available 24/7 for your home emergencies.