Extreme temperatures don’t have to call for extreme energy use. As we head into warmer weather with spring and summer coming up, here are some tips from Affordable Service Heating and Cooling on how to stay comfortable, and keep your energy bills down!
- 1. Keep doors and windows closed. It can be expensive to keep an entire house cool. Keeping doors and windows shut can stop air from leaking out or in.
- Turn off your AC when you don’t need it. Turn off your AC when you leave the house, no sense in using energy when you’re not there.
- Cold wash your laundry. Your washing machine alone accounts for almost 10% of your energy bill. Save over $100 a year just by washing your clothes in cold water, and save water by waiting until you have a full load before washing.
- Save energy in the kitchen. Thaw frozen food in the fridge to save cooking time. Only run your dishwasher when it’s full.
- Replace your lightbulbs. Replacing your old lightbulbs with energy efficient lightbulbs will save you power and, they’ll last longer!
- Switch from a swamp cooler to refrigerated air. Refrigerated air is more energy efficient than a swamp cooler, so much more so that PNM offers rebates up to $600 for refrigerated air users. In addition, you may be eligible for a $300 federal tax credit for using refrigerated air!
- Just because we’re facing warmer weather in the near future doesn’t mean we have to use more energy! Try these simple ways to save energy, and call Affordable Service when you’re to upgrade to refrigerated air!