Taking care of your plumbing, sewage system and keeping kitchen sink running smoothly can sometimes be a complicated matter. If you have a major problem, you’ll want to contact the professionals at Affordable Service Plumbing & Heating for repairs.
However, keeping things working smoothly is much easier if you take a few simple precautions. These five tips for kitchen sink care and preventative maintenance will help keep your system working just as it should.
- Don’t Dump Grease – Grease may seem like a smooth, clear liquid when you first finish cooking. However, you’ve seen that after it cools, it turns into a thick, heavy substance. You do not want this to line your pipes or stick to hair clogs, do you? Instead, allow the grease to cool and throw it out with your trash—or recycle it, if possible.
- Run Hot Water Regularly – Allowing hot water to run down the drain on a regular basis can go a long way towards keeping the drain moving—and will not cause undue stress on your pipes.
- Use a Trap – A mesh drain trap on your kitchen sink can catch crumbs, peelings and other odds and ends that may otherwise wind up going down the drain. This tool prevents problems before they begin.
- Try a Plunger – Before you go any further, try using a plunger on stubborn clogs. If you have a hair clog or “frozen” grease, you may be able to wash it loose with the plunger and hot water.
- Get Help – If you have clogs that don’t respond to plunging or dirty water is backing up into your drain, call a professional NOW. By getting assistance now, instead of when the problem escalates, you may prevent a major plumbing malfunction.
If you are proactive and treat your kitchen sink with care, you’ll be much less likely to run into any serious problems down the line. If you do need a plumber, don’t hesitate to call us at Affordable Service Plumbing and Heating. We are always here for you.
Copyright: milinz / 123RF Stock Photo