According to the U.S. Department of Energy, hard water is “water that has absorbed mineral content from rocks and soil,” which can cause buildup and cause future issues. The minerals the water absorbs are things like calcium and magnesium. Although naturally occurring and not harmful to the body, over time, it can wreak havoc on your home pipes and appliances and lessen the latter’s lifespan by years. And in New Mexico, hard water is more common than most think. Here’s a link to city water hardness around the State of New Mexico. Check to see the hardness of the water in your neck of the woods.
What Are Tell-Tale Signs of Hard Water?
- White, chalky spots on dishes after a wash cycle.
- Clothes and linens that go through your washer may feel rough and lose their vibrancy.
- The sink and bathtub faucets will show a buildup of the chalky substance. This buildup can also lead to unsightly stains on the counters and the bathtub itself.
- Your skin will feel dry, and your hair will be relatively flat.
- Due to clogged pipes, pressure coming from faucets around the house will be lower than normal.
Harmful Effects on Your Boiler
If you have hard water, it can cause significant damage to your boiler and plumbing, leading to costly repairs. The minerals present in hard water can accumulate in the tubes, restricting water flow and causing your boiler to overheat or your zone valves to stick. These issues will decrease system efficiency and performance, increasing utility costs. However, installing a water softener can help. It removes harmful minerals from your water, improving efficiency, cleaner dishes, and healthier hair and skin.
Although hard water may not be noticeable at first, it can cause many problems that can be both expensive and disruptive. However, regular maintenance of your appliances and HVAC system can help identify and address problematic water issues before they become more serious. By addressing hard water, you can protect your home’s appliances, extend your HVAC system’s lifespan, and enjoy the benefits of clean, soft water. Choose Affordable Service Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning, and Electric for your water softener installation or HVAC maintenance today!